Tuesday 18 December 2012

A reminder......

Of how fragile life is 


I haven't felt this tired since my boys were little years ago ( they are 9 and 11 now)

My 5 year old girl  slept through the night at 6 weeks old and never looked back so that doesn't really count.

My 11 year old has asthma that flares up when he gets a cold.

He used to be in and out of hospital regularly, but as he has got bigger his airways seem to have coped better. Unfortunately this lulled me into thinking we were out of the woods. 

I wasn't prepared for the onslaught last week.

Poor kid.

He has struggled along with inhalers for a few weeks and finally we decided it wasn't getting any better and went to the doctor last Tuesday. It wasn't our usual Doctor, which meant he didn't want to listen to me because of course I am only Mum and am not a Doctor. 

He refused to give him the prednisolone treatment which would have cleared his chest in a few days. He put him on antibiotics and sent us home.

Three troubled days and nights later my boy could not string 3 words together, walk up the stairs in one go, drink a drink without choking, or sleep for longer than 15 minutes. 

He. Cannot. Breathe. 

I phoned the surgery as soon as it opened and told the receptionist my child cannot breathe and needs a prescription today please.

She says she cannot get it to me until Monday - 3 days time.

Excuse me again?

I will not print my reply, but in my defence I was lacking in sleep, my child was unable to breathe and she was being incredibly stupid.

I did finally get past her and talk to my own GP who is superb , trusts me with the care of my son and faxed me the meds straight away .

So. Grateful. For. Him. 

He saved us an unnecessary trip to hospital which is always distressing and unhelpful.

So my boy is now sleeping, still sounds like a train and I am watching him like a hawk , but I will get some sleep as I know the meds are working and he is breathing more easy now.

Tough week, but with recent events in the news, it is nothing in comparison and I just feel incredibly grateful that my kids are safe and with me.



X


6 comments:

  1. So glad to hear your boy is on the mend and you finally got the correct meds. Life is indeed fragile as highlighted by the news this week, I also have a post on my blog this week entitled Loss. We really shouldn't take life for granted it is so precious. Big hugs to you and your little one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Get well soon Sam. I saw this and wondered if it would be of help. I am finding nutrition key in getting my health back. X

    http://articles.submityourarticle.com/five-foods-to-fight-asthma-14823

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness.....I'm so sorry you had so much trouble getting medical practitioners to listen to you. I cannot believe the first one gave you antibiotics so readily but not the steroid treatment your child needed. So glad you stood your ground and didn't back down.

    Hope he feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like he's had a tough time of it Claire - at least he (finally) has the correct medication now as you say and hopefully you can all get some sleep and recover your strength in time for next week. Take care xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad he is feeling better

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really glad to hear your little one is feeling a little better and your own GP kicked in. I never understand these practices which say yes you can have an appointment in 3 days ... not when your own child in in pain and distress. I've been luckyish with George when he was young and he had chronic eczema - the receptionists got to know me and would try to fit me in on the same day but then again, he was also very young at the time. Your experience is a good reminder of how we can be lulled in to a false sense of security though - George is coming out on the other side and appears to be growing out of his eczema but even we sometimes forget he has it because most days he is the normal cheeky chappy without a care in the world. I'm one of those mums - I don't like going to the doctors for me and my child ... unless its absolutely necessary and it's a shame we get punished by the hypochondriacs out there.

    ReplyDelete