Thursday 27 September 2012

The time to be Thrifty.

What does it really mean?


"There are people who have money and people who are rich "            

                                                                                                                Coco Chanel


I went to an event with some other bloggers recently and we had a discussion about what the word Thrifty really meant. If you read my blog regularly, you may have picked up that one of the things I try and do is look for the best use of my money when I purchase things - although this doesn't always mean the cheapest.

Thrifty = careful and diligent in the use of resources

With the current climate and being careful with our finances becoming a necessity for a lot of us, it is a great concept to explore and discuss. Expenditure quickly mounts up and before you know it, debt can be staring even the financially well off in the face.

We all find ourselves in different situations and stages of our lives that can govern our spending. For me, I would say we are in a stage of our lives now where money is not as tight as it was in the past. We can afford to send our children to music or sports lessons. We live in a large house in a lovely village, we go on 'nice' holidays, I drive a new car, but all this comes at a cost. 

So,I am careful that I get the best deal when I do spend. I don't waste money on things I know I can get for a much better deal somewhere else. I say no to my children and make them wait for the things they ask for. I don't want them to have a consumer mentality that just throws away stuff when they tire of it and replace it with the next trend.

Being Thrifty for me does not necessarily mean living cheaply . It means living well, but within our budget, getting the best out of our money at the same time as considering environmental factors such as waste. I do shop at charity shops - who doesn't love a bargain and to recycle clothes, but I will also treat us to a pair of designer jeans when we can afford it. I would rather spend money on clothes that stand the test of time than ones that have to be replaced after a few outings because the zip has broken or the knees have worn through too quickly. 

I must admit that my conscience does get bothered when I buy a cheap top I may well love, knowing it will only last me a few months. At this point I will discard it and buy another. Is this really the best for my purse and for the environment? However , there have been occasions when I have spent more on items I have thought would last , only to find them falling apart long before their time! It's quality, not price that counts! There is a great debate hidden in there somewhere.....

Here is my latest find at a local charity shop - a pretty, lined, rough edged and fitted jacket in autumnal colours for £5. The pockets were still sewn up so it was obviously fairly new.







Here are some interesting quotes I found:

There are plenty of ways to get ahead. The first is so basic I'm almost embarrassed to say it: spend less than you earn.Paul Clitheroe 


The amount of money you have has got nothing to do with what you earn.. people earning a million dollars a year can have no money and.. People earning $35,000 a year can be quite well off. It's not what you earn, it's what you spend.Paul Clitheroe 

The Best way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket

Beware of little expenses; a small leak will sink a great ship.


Use it up
Wear it out
Make it do
Or do without



“To earn what you can; spend what you must; give what you should, and save the rest—this is thrift.” ~ J.O. Engleman, 1918
 "Being frugal does not mean being cheap! It means being economical and avoiding waste." --Catherine Pulsifer

What does being Thrifty mean to you at this stage in your life?

Do you have any interesting quotes?

14 comments:

  1. What a great find that jacket was. Couldn't agree more with you regarding thrify habits. I like to get value for my money and that doesn't always mean buying cheap ... we're back to my questioning the value of Primark purchases again!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - although I have had a far more expensive jumper develop a hole this week so...... I just have never got the hang of finding a good buy at Primark. I get blinded by the mass of products when I walk in!!

      Delete
  2. Great quotes and what a beautiful jacket! My taste in clothing hasn't changed in a long time..I'm glad to purchase a nice (pricey) piece knowing it will last and still look nice years from now. On the other hand, I've made clothing from clearance fabrics that have lasted just as long. I like that. It's harder to have teenagers who like to stay "on trend". Knowing that the clothing will be "out-of-style" before it's outgrown has always been difficult for me to deal with. I feel a little hypocritical saying that, because I love buying new shoes/bags/scarves...Ugh! Thanks for giving me something to ponder today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a great love of clothes, especially boots ,bags and accessories so I have to be a little careful and and trying to think more carefully about my consumption of products!! My children are still in the stage with clothes where they destroy them before replacing them - or is that just boys!? They are so hard on their stuff!! Xx

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous jacket, wish my local charity shops were as good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are pretty good around here - Ive picked up some really unique stuff over the years, but it takes some looking. The kids stuff is not so good. X

      Delete
  4. Your jacket is a great find - lovely colours for autumn.
    http://missbbobochic.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wore it today with my sand skinny jeans,orla kiely brown top and my M and S ankle boots ! X

      Delete
  5. Great post Claire - some useful reminders there - and what a lovely jacket! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. i think thrifty for me means that i buy things that are versatile, things that i know i will wear all the time. it doesn't necessarily mean cheap or thrifted. before i had kids, i shopped like crazy, buying $200 pairs of jeans every week...BUT, till today i'm still wearing those jeans. so i don't feel bad about purchases like that.

    [oomph.]
    Enter to Win a Complete Anti-Aging System

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never see anything like that in my neck of the woods. I would be so lucky but it's a lovely find for you. Thrifty means buying veg from Aldi rather than Sainsburys sometimes if I'm near an Aldi. Can be 30-40p difference in an item and it all counts!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I could have written this post myself. I totally agree with you about being thrifty!!!
    What a lovely jacket!

    ReplyDelete